Wednesday, May 14, 2008

SUPERMATT!!!

What a week we had last week. It was exhausting, hectic, stressful, pressing, and more simply put, just plain HARD! Here's why. Ella came down with what was after four days diagnosed as "a bad case of tonsillitis." Now, this may not seem as bad as I described above, but bare with me. In 18 months Ella has not been any kind of sick. Other than her previous UTI's and one clear runny nose due to allergies when the weather began getting warmer, we've been blessed with no sickness. Last Tuesday she had a fever of slightly over 99. Considering her hands constantly in her mouth and the increased drooling we chalked the slight fever up to teething. By late afternoon Wed. the fever had increased to over 101 and the maternal worry kicked in. Thursday morning we were at the doctor. Her urine was clean, the strep test was negative, her ears were fine, but her throat was slightly red with scattered puss pockets and her white count was highly elevated. She had blood taken and a shot- we were told to come back in the morning.

Friday morning- Blood taken and shot, the puss pockets now covered the back of her throat. Come back in the morning...GREAT!

Saturday morning, same routine-no shot and we were sent home with an antibiotic. FINALLY!! Now, with our "bad case of tonsillitis" we had little to no sleep, cranky with a side of cranky topped with a spoonful of irritable, crying in place of ALL other communication and only minimal amounts of food and juice for these three days. So, Friday night in come the troops- Honey, Boppa and Uncle Zach to help bring some relief to the pitiful and sleep deprived Euten clan. Now, once the antibiotic had began to kick in and Tylenol was flowing rampant through her veins she began to sleep better. However, Saturday night she woke up in a screaming fit an hour after she had gone to sleep. Nothing could calm her, she didn't know whom or what she wanted and couldn't stop screaming bloody murder long enough to even give a clue. Suddenly, down the dark hallway you could hear the footsteps, the footsteps of a hero. Matt came in the living room, where we all were trying to calm her, and spoke 5 adamant words, "she has a tummy ache." He gave her Mylicon and as quick as he appeared...he was gone. Only seconds later she was sound asleep in my arms. I looked up at my mom, "where did Matt go?" She said, "I guess back to bed." Like Superman, he did what he needed to do and was gone without any recognition.

The next morning I woke up next to "SuperMatt", kissed him and thanked him for saving the day. It is such a blessing to be married to someone that is so in tune with his family. He is calm when I'm a mess, he is confident when I am unsure, he is a problem solver when I can't think straight and he is a leader all of the time. I'm so thankful that I have him to help with Ella. This is only one of many times that he has come through in a clutch, but it is the most recent. Matt is a wonderful husband, the sweetest daddy, a great provider, spiritual leader and he is my best friend and hero.

Ella is much better now and we have all almost caught up on our rest. Thank you Honey, Boppa and Zach, we couldn't have done it without you!! What a week!!

6 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm so sorry she was sick & thank the Lord for wonderful husbands!

Jason and Laura Brantley said...

what a horrible week but what a sweet post about your husband! hope Ella is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

So happy that you have such a loving atmosphere at home. Hope Ella is better soon!

Love you!
Jen

Natalie said...

oh how wonderful! how great is it when the boys just KNOW and completely throw you off guard like that? what a good daddy

Wilson's Winners said...

Oh that sounds like quite a week. If anyone knows about sickness, it's our household. After the FLU and RSV this past winter, we've seen some late nights with a sick baby and it's horrible. ( I guess nursing for 6 months was suppose to help with keeping germies away? Nahh! - not for me!) Hang in there:)

Kelley Brown said...

So glad Ella is now on the mend! I am so sorry it's been so rough, but what a sweet (and discerning) hubby you have! :) Hope you're getting some rest now too!