Monday, August 20, 2012

Ella's first day of Kindergarten...



Ella started Kindergarten today. She's been excited for awhile. I waivered between excited and sad, naturally. We walked her into her classroom this morning, and like I thought she would she walked in like she had done it a thousand times before. Cale and I were pretty much lost all day without her, she is SUCH a presence! I missed her terribly all day and so did Cale. He sat beside me like a leech and followed me around like a shadow. The minutes literally creeped by until it was time to go get her. We waited in the pick-up line for what seemed like forever and the anticipation of hearing about her day was all I could take. Finally,  I saw her step on the concrete in between the two rows of cars and head toward ours. The look on her face was, well, overwhelmed. I could tell she was holding back tears and she was fighting so hard!! She is SO brave. I got out of the car, she looked at me, tears filled her eyes (as did mine) and she started running. I scooped her up and she squeezed me tighter than she probably ever has. We stood in the street hugging and crying together. I told her I loved her and asked if she was ok. She said, "yes, but I was ready to see you." She's the oldest 5-yr-old I know....but, she's still my little girl.

She did have a great day. She loves her teacher and her class. She made some good friends and overall had a good time. But, it was a long day and is clearly going to take some adjusting. They say that, "tears aren't a sign of weakness, they're a sign you've been strong for too long." And, she had been strong all day!






No comments: