You'll have to please excuse our bed head and mismatched jammies. Like I said, she had literally just rolled out of bed. And our compromise is that she can pick out her own jammies every night if I can pick out what she wears during the day, reasonable enough.
Once we got off the phone with the wildlife people and they had informed us that after several hours the mother would come back and as long as it wasn't crying or walking around making "calling" noises it was fine, we all felt better. They also said to leave it alone and touch it as little as possible...Well, we didn't offer up the fact the our almost 2 year old that smelled of cookies and freshness had all but cuddled with it for at least 20 minutes. We all began to walk back toward the house, this is what happened...
The sweet deer, which we named Cleet, would walk not too far away from Matt. We all got a big kick out of the fact that it probably thought he was its "mother". Cleet clearly didn't sense that Matt loves to hunt and after this incident I'm not so sure he'll continue loving it so much. Besides, we could probably get some good money for his gun and bow! The picture below isn't very good, but it is of Matt sitting with Cleet (to his right) so the rest of us could go back inside.
I think they really bonded, it was precious. And, Ella was ecstatic. She loved every minute of it!! Just so you're not worried, the "real" mother came walking down the hill about an hour later. I'd like to say that we all watched as they shared a long anticipated embrace and walked off into the distance together, but I can't. They were a little more sneaky than that, I guess that's how nature works.


9 comments:
so amazing!!
Oh my goodness! Jeremiah and I had that exact same experience a few years ago at Chewacala. We were so worried that after we'd loved on it so much, the mother might not take it back. She tried to follow us too and it just about broke my heart. I'm relieved to hear that your Momma took her baby back. It gives me some hope for our little baby.
I found your blog through Abby Maddox's, but I had to comment that that is the sweetest story I have ever heard - my Emma Claire would have LOVED to have been there!
That is the sweetest story and pictures! And by the way, Simms sleeps in mismatched pj's too b/c she has out grown some of the tops and some of the bottoms so we've pieced together what does fit! Ha ha!
That is so cool. What an great experience for Ella. Such a sweet story and great memory for her.
I like these pictures better b/c I can blow them up and really see sweet Ella and the baby deer. We had a great time Saturday night. The others partied til 4 am. Can't say I'm jealous of that! I'd love to get together soon!
I wish I could squeeze that little deer.
That is sooo sweet!! Loved the pics and such a neat story. I mean how often do you get to pet a baby deer in your yard!!
that baby deer is too cute...what a fun experience
Post a Comment